Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Good news about billing!

As with most things in my life, my healthcare decisions cannot be approached as though money is no object.  With regard to my doctor's recommendation yesterday to schedule more laser treatment for the lattice degeneration in my right eye, one of my first reactions was, "Well, how much is this gonna cost me?"  That is, by no means, meant to be disrespectful to my doctor for his recommendation.  Rather, it is a very practical question, considering I have a rather daunting balance due to Kaiser for the successful victrectomy and scleral buckle surgery that was performed on my left eye to correct the retinal detachment.

Not wanting to wreck the good news from yesterday, I waited until today to inquire about the cost of the laser treatment for my right eye.  I am very pleased to report that my cost for this procedure will only be a simple co-pay!  (Granted, my co-pays are pretty pricey at $40 per visit.)  Since this is an outpatient procedure that can be done within a normal office visit, I will incur no additional costs beyond my ordinary co-pay.  This is surprising but wonderful news!

It is troubling to me how my earliest reactions to this lattice degeneration were so heavily influenced by financial concerns, rather than healthcare concerns.  Our bodies do not understand cash flow or debt, and they demand care, without regard to financial considerations.  I am thankful Kaiser understands this and is allowing me to repay my surgery debt over time.  It would be extra outstanding if my future care would not put me further into debt.  However, with that said, precious sight is almost priceless, and I admit I am tightly wrapped around the proverbial finger of my very demanding eyes.  While money is very much "an object" in my life, I cannot let it wholly influence my healthcare decisions.  Fortunately, this time I do not have to worry about it at all.  This is a great relief - and a great blessing!

2 comments:

  1. Pleased to hear your good news. I count myself very lucky to live in the UK, not a perfect healthcare system by any means, but free at the time of need and I was diagnosed & treated in days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marg, I don't know much about the healthcare system in the UK, but if it's free and speedy, it sounds pretty good!

    ReplyDelete