Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Anxiety about returning to work

I just called my doctor's office to request a work release letter.  Since this is my third week after surgery, I think I should be able to return to work on Monday, but of course, I will wait to hear back from my doctor to confirm this.

Meanwhile, I am sorting through the anxiety of returning to my normal work life.  I expect everyone will be very welcoming, and I am looking forward to seeing my work friends again. I even miss the actual work.  It's hard to feel very productive at home, especially as I respect the doctor's orders to "take it easy."  I miss feeling accomplished.  I miss feeling "normal."

I am a city planner, which is mostly a desk job.  I read a lot, especially the zoning code and other such regulatory documents.  I review site plans and building plans.  I spend a lot of time on my computer writing reports.  I feel fairly confident that I will be able to resume these duties.  I worry a bit about headaches and the trouble I may have seeing well with only one eye.  As my surgery eye improves and the gas bubble shrinks, I am gaining sight in my left eye, which sounds like it would be a good thing.  Of course, in the long run, it is, but in the short term, I can tell it will cause headaches.  I am not a doctor, but I know that having a wide difference between visual acuity in the eyes can cause strain.

Even over the past few days, I have noticed that television watching is causing mild headaches, and I am becoming sensitive to light.  That is not to say that I prefer a perfectly dark or perfectly bright room, but depending on where the lamp or other light source is located, it can cause strange reflections off the gas bubble and give objects a strange halo.  Actually, I am not sure I am describing this experience well, but suffice it to say that the gas bubble continues to trouble me and I worry how I will do adjusting to my work environment.

However, my anxiety about what I look like is probably at least as high as my anxiety about visual performance and headaches.  Perhaps I should be embarrassed to be so vain, but I am a 30-year-old woman.  While I am no pageant queen, beauty is important to me.  I miss wearing makeup, and the idea of going back to work without mascara just feeds my insecurity.

Then again, would I really want to wear eye makeup and draw attention to my mismatched eyes?  I wonder how long it will take for my pupils to match again, or worse, maybe they never will!?  My surgery eye is dilated almost triple the size of my non-surgery eye.  At least the the white part of my surgery eye is turning white again.  The extreme redness was totally disgusting!

I am so insecure about what my eye looks like that I avoid eye contact.  This is a problem at work because I also meet with the public a lot.  Before my surgery, I prided myself on my communication style.  I like to think my sincere eye contact has helped people feel more comfortable when talking to me about how zoning, etc. affects their livelihoods.  This anxiety compromises that for me.  I have thought of wearing an eye patch or sunglasses, but like the makeup, that only draws attention.

I'm not really sure what to do about this vanity anxiety.  I guess I just have to put one foot in front of the other, go back to work, and let people react.  It doesn't seem like there is much else I can do.  I certainly can't afford to stay home from work for six months or something to fully heal.  It is time to try to restore some normalcy in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment