Friday, December 24, 2010

Christmas gratitude

I am so, so, so thankful to be baking on Christmas Eve!  I was "face down" over Thanksgiving, and while my family pinch hit for me in the kitchen, I really missed preparing the meals - especially making the pies.  I love cooking for my family, especially during the holidays, and I am just filled with gratitude that I am able to do it this Christmas.

While my surgery eye is still impaired, I am managing to work around it.  I don't know if my brain has adapted to relying on my good eye, or maybe my surgery eye is more useful than I think.  Either way, I have been able to complete a simple sewing project and a few other crafty Christmas gifts, and I am back in the kitchen.  It makes me so happy!

Yesterday, I took my first solo drive!  It was wonderful and empowering and a little scary.  Mostly, I just appreciate feeling capable and independent again.  In California, cars unlock the world, and my little piece of the world is expanding again.

Every day is getting better.  The gas bubble is shrinking, and my field of vision is increasing.  My vision outside the gas bubble is a bit cloudy (and will probably get more cloudy as my cataract develops) and still quite blurry, but it is good enough to have some basic peripheral vision.  It's harder to sneak up on me, and that helps me feel safer in public and capable of driving.  My vision is certainly not perfect, but I relish the progress.

I pray every day for continued healing, and I know many people have been praying for me all along.  I am filled with gratitude for answered prayers.  I feel extremely blessed on this Christmas for having such wonderful people in my life, and I am encouraged by the positive changes in my vision.  This is a very Merry Christmas in my life, and I hope it will be for you as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment